Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Karma

Do you believe in Karma, "cause and effect", "what comes around goes around", "you reap what you sow"? Well, I do. I guess I don't believe in a person called Karma like the television show "My name is Earl" believes, but I do believe that you will be treated as you have treated others.

Here is my story. I am a simple appliance repair man. The appliances that I repair are computers. On many occasions my friends call me up asking me questions about computers. I respond the best that I can. Sometimes, a friends computer is beyond help over the phone so I offer to have them bring their computer over to my house and I'll take a look at it. I'll usually work on the computer, install updates, run some cleanup utilities and get it working the best that I can before handing it back.

When returning the computer to it's owner, I usually get many "Thank You's" in return and a query as to how much it will cost. I always give a bit of a smile and reply, "cookies would be nice". I then get another smile and a thank you. I send my friend with their fixed PC on their way. I really wasn't looking for anything in payment, just a happy friend.

Well, the tables were turned the other day and I was the unlucky friend asking for help. Not just a little help but a MAJOR plea for help. How grateful and thankful I was to find a friend that was willing to give of his professional services to help our family. When we offered to compensate him for his work, all that was offered was a big smile. I am so thankful for friends that are willing to help us out when we are in need. My dedication to help others with their computer problems is even more profound. With the simple act of service that our friend gave us, the help we received completely and totally outweighed all of the service I have ever given by helping my friends with their computers.

Do unto others as they would have done unto you. Karma (our Heavenly Father) will repay us for our service with blessings until it is overflowing and more than we can receive. That is my testimony and the lesson that was taught to me again this week.