Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Pinewood Derby

Before I came to this assignment the Venture Crew decided to build Pinewood Derby cars. When I heard about this activity I was perplexed at how we could use this activity to further their advancement in DTG and in Venturing. After some searching I found 2 requirements that would fit into this activity. Again, fun with a purpose. We made the Pinewood derby cars as an Art Project. I also found out when the Cub Scouts were going to race their cars and volunteered the Ventures to be the Officials and Judges. These two simple acts helped them pass off two DTG requirements.

Yesterday we fulfilled this task. I had 3 Crew members show up and help with the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Afterwards we raced our cars. I thought it was a great activity and the Venture Crew got to show off their uniforms at the Cub Scout activity. I was also impressed to see one of our Crew member saluting the flag correctly. It was the first time that I have saluted the flag with the full hand salute. I was also excited to see our Adult Crew Leader wearing his Crew uniform too. We looked sharp.