Friday, February 15, 2008

$500 or 5 years in prison

So, I talk to my lawyer about this Misdemeanor Citation and he tells me that this charge has maximum penalties of $500 or 5 years in prison. YIKES!

I talked to a lawyer friend of mine and had him look at the citation I received to get his advise. He told me that I could plead guilty and pay the fine and have a misdemeanor on my record, or I could go and plead not guilty and explain my situation to the judge and hope of a lessor charge. He also said that he could represent me at the court and take care of it for me but he would charge $170 per hour for his time. Burley is 1 hour away, so it would be at the very least 2 hours in travel and then his time at the court. Holy Cow, That is over $500 right there!!! I don't see how people can afford to use a lawyer.

Anyway, I am having the lawyer call the Prosecuting Attorney and see if I can get a lessor citation of an infraction. If that works, I'll no longer be a hardened criminal on the lam. I'll be an infractor. (if that is a word)