Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lift Where You Stand

I wanted to write something about General Conference that we had in October. Here are some of the talks that I enjoyed.



I'm not sure why but the talk that sticks out most in my mind from the Conference weekend was President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk during the Priesthood Session of Conference, it was titled, Lift Where You Stand. I really liked the idea that everyone, whatever the calling, needs to "lift" where they are standing. Whether that be the ward greeter or the Bishop, you need to do your best to lift the ward where you can. The story goes that a number of men were trying to lift and move a piano. They had tried every configuration of men at the front, at the back, on the sides, on the legs but they just couldn't move the piano. Finally, one of the men said, "Lets all stand as close together as we can around the piano and Lift where you stand". After trying this idea, the piano was moved into place. There are many great lessons that can be learned from this parable.




The second talk that I really thought was good was by Elaine S. Dalto Young Women General President called "A Return to Virtue". I think I enjoyed this one because we have been talking with Coby about these very issues in his life. The best quote out of the talk actually came from President Monson that counseled: "You be the one to make a stand for right, even if you stand alone". Coby has already had to make this decision in his life. We know that he will be blessed for these decisions and that in the future, he will be looked up to by his piers for making correct choices.



And my last quote was mentioned by President Thomas S. Monson. He stated in his talk, "Brother Hess wrote—and I quote: “These things are important: temple marriage, mission, college. Press on, set goals, write history, take pictures twice a year." I am now justified in taking photos of our kids every year. Now, we just have to work on getting those family pictures taken a little bit more often.