Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Talk

I finally decided that I would need to sit down with our Venture Crew Advisor and talk about his responsibilities after 2 un-organized activities. I went right over to his house after one of our activities and we talked.

I found out that he really wasn't sure what his responsibilities were and he didn't want to step on my toes because of my "YMP" calling. I told him that I really didn't want to step on his toes either but things really weren't being organized. So, as we discussed it, I told him that I would like him to take charge of Wednesday activities and that I am a resource he can use. I told him that I wanted him to plan the activities and then I handed him a worksheet that helped him plan what he needed to do. This worksheet is a 2 year plan that a Priests Quorum/Venture Crew can follow that will make sure that each member earns their DTG award and earn the Religious Life Bronze award. So, after giving that plan to the Venture Crew Advisor he started so see what was expected. He started almost immediately to plan the next few activities. We talked about many different ideas and many plans for the future. In a matter of a half an hour we had all of the Wednesday activities scheduled all the way to June. It was great.

At the end, I offered him assistance with his children during our scheduled Wednesday activities. He declined the help and I think he got the message that he really shouldn't bring them along to our meetings. So, all in all, it was successful.

We had a "low-adventure" activity this last weekend. It was in my backyard but we had a lot of fun. It gave us a chance, again, to get to know the boys and for them to get to know us. The activity was a success but we didn't get anything "important" accomplished. We will plan our next campout better so that we get some of those "important" things scheduled and completed. For example, we should work in some DTG requirement or some Venturing requirement and we should have a spiritual message prepared. We will do better next time.