Sunday, April 30, 2006

Outside the box

Our Venture Crew participated in the Scout O Rama this weekend. Most of them were a little hesitant about participating because of the "stigma" of the Scout O Rama as being a Cub Scout activity. I, however, wanted to make a SPLASH with our Venture Crew.

I decided that we needed to do something different, something out of the ordinary, something outside the box. So, I started brainstorming. I didn't want a regular camp site. At first, I thought of brining a trampoline and have the Ventures sleep on the trampoline. Then came the perfect idea. We would borrow some Semi Trucks and sleep in the "Sleeper Cabs" of the semi trucks. It would take some organization but I thought it would be a blast. I set up the event and lined up the trucks. I told our Crew of the idea and they loved it. One member wasn't going to go because of the Prom, but if they were going to stay in Semi Trucks, he would make the time. It was great.

The day finally came, I picked up 3 trucks from a local trucking company and parked them at the Scout O Rama. Everyone there was amazed at the sight. All of the Venture leaders from the Council and District supported us and loved the idea. We stood out as an example of what a "Venture Crew" could do at a scouting event. I was pleased with the reaction we received from all of the Scouters at the activity. I think the boys felt that pride as well. I really hope our Venturers can now see the endless possibilities that are available to them. One of the crew came up with the idea of staying at the Dorms next time. The Scout O Rama is on the property of a Junior College. I thought it was a great idea. Not only would we be the envy of the Scouts, but we would give our Ventures the opportunity to live in a college dorm for one night.

In any case, I think we have set the standard for Venture Crews for the Scout O Rama. I hope that next year our Venture Crew comes up with something even more cool and more creative. It was a great day for our organization.