Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Perspective

This week I have gained a new perspective.  I wasn't sure how to spell perspective so I had to google perspective vs prospective.  It looks like "Prospective" is an adjective meaning (1) likely to happen, or (2) likely to become, whereas "Perspective"  is almost always a noun. It refers to (1) a view, (2) the angle from which something is viewed, and (3) the proper appearance of objects in relation to each other.   So, I have a new PERSPECTIVE.

While I was on my mission I guess I never made the connection that each of the missionaries I came in contact with had concerned parents at home praying for them.  I don't know why I didn't make the connection but NOW, I definitely see a connection.  Why, you might ask?  My oldest son Coby, as many of you already know, has been called to serve a mission in the Tijuana Mexico Mission.  You can read his letters here on this blog that I have created.  Anyway, I have found myself praying that he would have good companions.  I'm haven't just prayed that he would have a good companion in the MTC, but I'm also praying that his first companion in Mexico will be good for him.  Trainers in the mission field are very important.  They help shape how a missionary will obey, teach, learn and grow in the mission.  I am praying that Coby has a good trainer to get him started in the mission field.  Now that I'm praying for this, I think back on the times when I was in the mission field and how I acted and trained missionaries.  Sadly, in some situations, I wished I had had a different perspective.  I wished I would have thought about the concerned parent back home praying for good companions for their son.  I wished I had done a better job as a trainer.  

As Coby goes through the mission experience, I can't help but think about my mission.  Floods of memories come back to me as I think about what Coby is doing and will be doing over the next 2 years.  My kids are probably sick of my pulling out my mission memorabilia and don't was to see that stuff anymore but for me, it brings back fond memories. 

Anyway, I thought I would post this little piece of my life out there for all to see.  All two of you.