Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Reading A Book

Because I grew up with a minor case of Dyslexia, I really haven't ever liked reading books. To this day I struggle reading books because it takes so darn long to get through them. I read at a pace of about 20 pages per hour. I know, it is terrible. I am probably not reading correctly. For some reason I read every single word. I have tried reading faster but I alway lose the meaning of the story or I missed a "NOT", or a "DID" or "Didn't" that would totally change the view of the story. Anyway, I am doing something that I have never done before. I am re-reading a book. Deanna has always talked about re-reading books and I have always thought she was crazy. Why would you want to re-read a book? It is hard enough getting through it the first time. The book I am re-reading is "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.





I really enjoyed reading this book the first time, plus, it doesn't have a thousand billion pages. I am half way through the book and I am really enjoying the second read. I remember bits and pieces from when I read it the first time which excites me more to keep reading.

The down side of me really liking this book is that I found it in the Juvenile section of the Public Library. So, I figure, I am probably reading at about a 5th grade level to a 9th grade level. That is ok with me.

Don't bother sending me your list of books that you know I will love. I probably won't read them. I tried to make a new years resolution a few years back that I would read 6 books during the year. Well, I didn't make it. I haven't had the courage to make a new years resolution like that again. I think I'll stick to movies and television.

6 comments:

Melinda said...

I feel the same about RE reading. There are so many books out there, why wouldn't you read a new one instead of one you've already worked through.
If it makes you feel any better, I realized I was a slower reader when I was in 6th grade. I haven't gotten much faster since then.
I think the biggest book i read up to college was only 300 pages. It is amazing that 2nd graders are reading the Harry Potter series. 700 pages I'm talking. Amazing.
Well, I've read Enders Game and I want Tom to read it. I liked it. We can talk about it together if you want.
happy reading.

Marni said...

I've never read this one, guess I'll have to try it someday. OSC bought me a modem in college. I'll have to tell you about that sometime.

I think there is great value in re-reading. The first time is for the story, evey time after that helps to internalize it.

Do you ever to listen to books? Our book club is reading "Uncle Tom's Cabin" this month and I've got it on my iPod (I know plenty that wouldn't have read it that are listening as well since I sent them the link). Such a great world of literature out there, listening is a great way to get through it all. And great value to being read to (see "The Read-Aloud Handbook").

I've also heard that once you read "your book" you really catch fire and take off from there. Our bishop's wife had him read "Count of Monte Cristo" several years after they were married and now he reads all the time. You never know!

Dang, this is a long comment. Get your own blog! :)

Rachael said...

I am not a really fast reader either. I have the read every word syndrome. I have heard about a program that can help you read faster called EyeQ. It trains the eye to respond faster. I don't know how much it helps. I have really tried to speed up my reading and have even read books about it. I feel like I am faster when I really try to be faster otherwise I slip back into my every word syndrome again. Ender's game is a great book!

Melinda said...

oooooooooooooooooooo!!! the picture is a nice addition.

analee hirschi said...

Ok 1st of all, I am totally with you on re-reading books, scriptures accepted, but I just thought it was great that you were.... also I loved Enders game and it is the one book that I have re-read also..>That is so crazy that you are doing it too. I loved that book. I read every word too .. my theory is that if I am spending time reading I want to understand it and like it, not just read it fast.

Jayke Blakk said...

I don't see the problem with reading every word. I do that, and I'm kinda fast. Faster than a lot of people that I know, but I'm not sure that I'm fast.

I've always thought that everyone read every word, but apparently not. Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.