Monday, May 17, 2010

water softener

I didn't have much planned for this Saturday. I was excited about having a nice leisurely weekend. As I stumbled around I decided to go down to the laundry room to move some wet cloths from the washer to the dryer. I turned around to look at our water softener and noticed a small leak coming from a small tube on the filter. The leak was a small steady stream of water that sprayed over onto the water heater. As I moved closer to see how bad it was, it was at that moment that I knew my Saturday had taken on a whole new theme. It was "Replace the Water Softener" weekend.



I was so excited (you all know how excited I get when there is plumbing to do) that I ran quickly upstairs and grabbed my BUCKET OF PIPE FITTINGS! Unfortunately none of the fittings would work for the delicate plumbing job I was about to undertake. So I turned off the water to the house and ran to Lowes to find a new water softener. I don't know if any of you know, this is not a cheap proposition. I picked the softener that best fit our families size and wept as I opened my pocketbook to pay out the $500.00.

After 3 more trips home and back to Lowes, I finally had the plethora of pipes and connectors to put my new softener into action.

After replacing our softener, we have noticed a huge difference in water pressure. We used to wait 10 minutes for the toilets to fill up and only one person could shower at a time. With our new softener, we enjoy a full complement of pressure which makes nice showers, but also uses up our hot water much quicker.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

We need one too. $500????? Yikes I don't want to buy one......but ours is 20 yrs old.

More pipe fittings for you!!!!Hurray!!!

analee hirschi said...

that looks like a fancy water softener... one that is more sleek for the new generation.
awesome that you used your bucket-o-pipe fittings!

Susan said...

Don't you just hate those Saturdays?? I just wish manufacturers would just build something that would last FOREVER!!!! No rust...no sediment accumulation...no salt...just beautiful perfection! Let's see...when will that be?

Holby said...

LOL You're probably going to save $500/month in water bills!