Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Does this count?

On Sunday I was taking an inventory of all of the things that I still do not do in my life to be perfectly in line with the teachings of the Prophets. One of them that came to mind was a journal. I have a small journal writing program on my computer that I use to type up some of my journal entries. Every time I look at that program, my last entry is inevitably 6 months to 12 months ago. I always start out my next entry with, "I know it has been a long time since I have written in my journal, I will recommit to writing more often". And so it goes each entry.

As I was kicking myself for not writing in my journal, I then realized that I might be able to "count" my blog entries as a journal. Wow, what a concept. All I will have to do is copy and paste my blog entries into my journal. Do you think that when I get into heaven and the checklist is read off, that a check mark will be placed in the "journal" column? Or, a demerit might be placed in it's stead and in big red letters it states, "A blog is not a journal!".

The journal software I purchased is is called It's Personal. Unfortunately it has been discontinued, http://www.rkssoftware.com/misc/discontinued.html.

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

It totally counts. You know how people are always saying God helps certain technologies come to pass for the spreading of the gospel and such. Well I think Heavenly Father realized that none of us were keeping journals so he invented blogs. Totally works!

Melinda said...

I'm counting a blog as a journal. It is fun for me and even look for things to "journal" about. There are online places that will print your blog. And some of my friends copy paste their entries into a Word document. The only thing is that you have to go backwards so your "journal" will be chronological.
good luck with the journal.

Marni said...

I can't stand you dogging on yourself. Maybe this would help: “May I ask that you join the conversation by participating on the Internet, particularly the New Media, to share the gospel and to explain in simple, clear terms the message of the Restoration. Most of you already know that if you have access to the Internet you can start a blog in minutes and begin sharing what you know to be true.” From Elder M. Russell Ballard’s speech given at Brigham Young University-Hawaii’s graduation ceremony on 15 December 2007.

Rachael said...

I was listening to some BYU talk by someone (Oaks probably). He said he keeps a spiritual journal and only write in it times when the spirit has guided him or protected him, etc. This is not the same as I had turkey for lunch and coached the volleyball team. I like that idea better. I would rather my family have that than what I did each day. Another GA said to just write 5 things you a grateful for. I think blogging is journaling though. So keep it up!